What kind of policies and procedures needed to be developed for VPN?
The full form of VPN is Virtual Private Network, When different nodes or computers are grouped together to form a private network on a public network, then it is called a VPN,
It is a technique used to add security and privacy to private and public networks such as Wi-Fi Hotspots and the Internet. VPNs are mostly used by corporations to protect their sensitive data. With the help of VPN, businesses ensure security, anyone intercepting the encrypted data can’t read it.
- While traveling outside the office VPNs allow employees of any organization to securely access the corporate intranet.
- Individual Internet users are also using the VPN to secure their wireless transactions for the purpose of protecting personal identity and location.
- The educational university also uses VPNs to connect their campuses that are present around the world.
- By eliminating the need for expensive long-distance leased lines VPN can save organizations money,
- VPN reduces the long-distance telephone charges and offloading support costs.
Why VPN’S are popular:
- On Untrusted public networks, VPNs provide secured and encrypted communication.
- Generally, private network formation is costly, but with the help of VPN, we achieve the private network virtually at almost no cost.
- Even though the network resources are not physically on the same LAN we can access them, with the help of a VPN.
- Increase Security and Privacy
- Compatible with all the devices
- Can able to bypass restrictive networks
- It permits us to modify the IP address if needed.
- Reduces connection speed
- Need extra router
Policies and Procedures needed to be developed for VPN :
Policies for VPN are:
Generally, the organization Employees and its authorized third parties will use VPN. The user selects the Internet Service Provider (ISP) and can do the coordinating installation and pay associated fees.
- VPN can be controlled using either a public or private key system with strong one-time password authentication (token device).
- With the help of VPN privileges, the employees take care of unauthorized users that are not allowed access to internal networks.
- Dual (split) tunneling is not allowed, only one network is allowed.
- All computers in a company have to use the latest anti-virus software to connect to the network via VPN.
Procedures need to develop a VPN:
Now let us see the steps that should be followed to develop a VPN is :
- Click on the search bar on the taskbar and type VPN.
- Then choose the Change virtual private network(VPN) option.
- Open the Settings app and go to the Network and Internet > VPN.
- Select add a VPN connection.
- Enter the details for your VPN connection.
- Under “VPN provider” click the menu, and select Windows (built-in). You can also change “VPN type” to Automatic, and “Type of sign-in info” to User name and password.
- Now Enter “connection name” and “server name or address”.
- At the bottom add the user name and password for the VPN.