What is the valid range of a Class A network address?
Let us know what an IP address is first, if you already know, skip this section.
IP (Internet Protocol):
It is one of the fundamental protocols inorder to have communications on the Internet. IP describes how the information is addressed, routed by networking devices. An IP address is a number identifying of a computer or another device on the Internet. A simple example could be mailing address.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Practice GATE exam well before the actual exam with the subject-wise and overall quizzes available in GATE Test Series Course.
Learn all GATE CS concepts with Free Live Classes on our youtube channel.
There are 2 types of IP 1. IPv4 : 32 bit long, Ex: 188.8.131.52 2. IPv6 : 128 bit long, it is so much longer than IPv4
Example for IPv4 :
1. Dotted Decimal Notation
2. Hexadecimal Notation
CLASS ADDRESSING :
- So, In IPv4 addressing, there are 5 classes to range IP Values : Class A, B, C, D and E.
- The order of bits in the first octet determine the classes of IP address.
- IPv4 address is divided into two parts:
1. Network ID
2. Host ID
- The class can determine the bits used for network ID and host ID.
- The number of total networks and hosts possible in that particular class can be calculated.
- Only class A, B and C are commonly used. classes D and E are reserved classes, D for multicast groups and E for future purposes.
CLASS A :
- IP address belonging to class A are assigned to the networks that contain a large number of hosts. Here, class A can support 16 million hosts on 127 networks.
- Here, the network ID is 8 bits long and the host ID is 24 bits long.
- IP addresses belonging to class A ranges from 1.x.x.x – 126.x.x.x
- Default Subnet Mask: 255.x.x.x
Number Of Hosts and Networks: Number of Hosts: (2^24)-2= 16,777,214 i.e 16 million hosts Number of Networks: (2^7)-2=126 Note: Reducing 2 because, 0.0.0.0 and 127.a.b.c are different addresses
>> The range of class A is 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11
Class B: 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124
Class C: 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52
Class D: 244.0.0.0 to 184.108.40.206
Class E: 244.0.0.0 to 254.255.255.254