Sorting an array according to another array using pair in STL
We are given two arrays. We need to sort one array according to another. Examples:
Input : 2 1 5 4 9 3 6 7 10 8 A B C D E F G H I J Output : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 B A F D C G H J E I Here we are sorting second array (a character array) according to the first array (an integer array).
We have discussed different ways in below post. Sort an array according to the order defined by another array In this post we are focusing on using the pair container present in STL of C++. To achieve our task we are going to make pairs of respective elements from both the arrays.Then simply use the sort function. The important thing to note is, the first element in the pairs should be from the array according to which the sorting is to be performed.
Here are the steps to solve this problem :
- Construct a pair array pairt of type pair<int, char> having size n (here n is the size of the input arrays)
- Fill the pair array with the respective elements from the input arrays a and b.
- Using the sort() method from the STL sort the pair array pairt. Sorting will be based on the array of integers a which is the first element in the pair.
- Use the components in the sorted pair array pairt to modify the initial input arrays a and b.
- At last, print the sorted arrays a and b.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 B A F D C G H J E I
Complexity Analysis :
- Time complexity : O(nlogn) overall time complexity of the program is dominated by the sort() function
- Space complexity : O(n) because the program creates a pair array pairt of size n to store the elements from the input arrays.
This article is contributed by Vineet Joshi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using write.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Please Login to comment...