Software Testing – Test Management Tools
Test Management is a process for managing the day-to-day testing activities starting from creating the test cases to execution of the tests along with capturing the test results.
Test Management tools help to manage the creation of test cases, execution of tests, storing the results for executed tests, report generation, defect tracking along with test cases execution, and import/export of tests from excel to test management tools.
Choosing the Right Test Management Tool
- Pricing: The cost of the license should be looked upon while selecting a test management tool. The price for a license could be paid per user, concurrent users, or persistent users. Not only the upfront costs of the license but also the training and implementations costs should be taken into account.
- Integration Support: Test Management tool should be well integrated with Test Automation tools and various CI/CD tools. The tool should have the capability to integrate with bug tracking tools like Bugzilla, Mantis, etc.
- Adaptation to Different Development Processes: Across the various organizations, many teams have adopted the Agile and DevOps way of working, so the tool should be able to map with Agile, Waterfall, or a combination of both Agile and Waterfall methodology.
- Supporting Multiple Users: When multiple users access the tool for the management of test cases, one thing to look for that whether a particular test case is accessed by two users at the same time or not.
- Easy to Use and Facilitate all Stages of STLC: Is the test management tool is easy to use by various teams across the different organizations and it should facilitate all stages of STLC such as maintaining test cases, log defects, link bugs to test case runs, test execution, generate customized reports.
Need For Test Management Tool
The following are some of the reasons why test management tools are required:
- Managing and Tracking Test Activities: A test management tool is useful for managing and tracking the tests and defects found during the STLC phase.
- Test Assigning Features: The test management tool tracks details about the tests and users can assign tasks to specific people. It also tracks details such as “who ran the tests?”, “what tests were run?”, “who passed the tests?” , “what requirements have been covered?”
- Full Visibility and Traceability For Tests: Every phase of the testing lifecycle can be traced within a test management tool.
- Eliminate Complexity and Duplication: To avoid the duplication of data and to manage the complexity of testing an application from an end-end-end perspective, a test management tool is a must-have for any organization.
Advantages of Test Management Tool
- Easy to Use and Simple UI.
- Allow access to multiple users with specific permissions to different projects.
- Full visibility and traceability
- Integration to Test Automation tool and CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
- Allowing the tool mapping to Agile and Waterfall methodology.
- Monitoring the project’s overall progress and metrics
- One-stop shop for all phases of testing activities.
This article focuses on discussing the top 10 test management tools.
1. SpiraTest by Inflectra
SpiraTest is the most powerful end-to-end test management tool in today’s market which allows users to manage test cases, requirements, and defects with graphical reporting all in one place.
- Fully Customizable reports can help users to check the status of the tests and overall project status.
- Users can create and run all tests (manual and automation) seamlessly from one place.
- Seamless defect tracking and reporting.
- Users can link defects to test execution for better traceability.
- It allows one to integrate seamlessly with Automated testing tools such as Selenium, Integration with CI and CD tools, JIRA, and Azure DevOps tools.
- Available as SaaS/Cloud service or an on-premise solution.
TestRail is a Web-based GUI interface that allows users to create test plans, test cases and manage test execution all in one central place. Manage and track the entire software testing process.
- Allows one to manage test suites, past test results, and track test case history.
- Record the test execution results in a web-based interface.
- Group, Sort and Filter the results effectively.
- Archiving and Auditing options for your tests.
- Tracks the tests on mobile devices, browsers, and multiple OS
- Easily Customizable reports & Metrics for test plans and test runs.
- Seamless integration with Jira Cloud, Automation testing tools such as Ranorex, BitBucket, Frogbugz, Mantis, GitHub, and BitBucket.
- Teams to effectively collaborate on comments, feedback.
- Personalized to-do lists and email notifications for newly assigned tests.
3. XRay – Test Management For Jira
Cloud App for Jira is available in Atlassian Marketplace which uses Jira Issue for all the testing activities.
- While Installing Xray for Jira, you get to see new issues for Test Plans, Test sets, test runs, and test execution.
- Add on feature for requirement traceability which lets you track requirements, tests, defects, and executions.
- Seamless integration with Selenium, Cucumber, Junit, and NUnit.
- Integration of Rest API with CI/CD Pipelines.
- Advanced coverage for Requirements, Defects, tests, and execution.
- Customizable XRay reports tracking the test executions and Test sets with overall testing progress.
- Added feature to track the work of teams using Jira Agile boards for better visibility and transparency.
4. Zephyr Scale
Best Test management tool inside Jira to manage all phases of the testing lifecycle. It is self-explanatory and easy to use.
- Allows us to configure according to the needs of a team. For example, you can add custom fields and status at the project level without the need for Jira Administrator.
- Set the permissions to allow certain users access to various functions within an application such as tests cases, test cycles, executions, and reports.
- Group your tests into subfolders and folders based on the requirements such as Automation Tests, Smoke tests, and performance tests.
- Reuse tests across different projects, modules, and test libraries to avoid performance issues.
- Managing multiple versions of test cases at the same time allows us to compare the changes between versions.
- Jira Issue view allows you to view test executions, test cases, results.
- Zephyr Scale reports can be filtered by epics, stories, and versions which allows you to view full test progress for a specific workspace or version.
- Scale your testing activities by integrating Cucumber BDD, CI/CD, and automation tools.
5. Zephyr Squad:
Zephyr Squad is better for Agile teams to have a flexible and seamlessly integrated test management tool that works as a native Jira application. With Zephyr Squad, one can create tests cases, execute tests, and view test execution reports.
- Seamless Integration with Jira.
- Easy to use look and feel makes a better choice for Agile teams.
- View test executions and results by story view.
- Jira dashboard allows you to view test executions by test cycle and testers.
- Integrate with Automation testing tools such as Selenium and CI/CD tools such as Jenkins and Bamboo.
It is a Saas-based end-to-end test case management tool. Using this users can efficiently create and run tests, track bugs and generate reports.
- It provides the ability to import and export issues, tests, steps, and requirements.
- Gives users the choice to perform Manual, Exploratory, and Automation testing without integrating with 3rd party tools.
- Create a custom field relevant to the project which could be used with different tests ad issues.
- It supports multiple browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge, and Safari.
- Better visibility for Manual and Automation test results supported by offering multiple reporting options.
- Provides seamless integration with JIRA, Pivotal, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, GitHub, Bugzilla, and Slack.
- Seamless integration with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins and Bamboo and their API gives the flexibility to add your own custom integrations as well.
- Integration with FireCracker tool to import XML test results to PractiTest without using any API code.
TestLink is a web-based open-source test management tool that allows users to manage test cases, test suites, test projects, and user management.
- Supports both manual and automated test execution.
- Multiple users can access the functionality of the tool with their credentials and assigned roles.
- Generation of test execution reports in various formats such as Word, Excel, and HTML formats.
- Easy Import/Export of test cases.
- Seamless integration with Bugzilla, Mantis.
- Linking of test cases with defects.
- Filter and sort test cases based on Testcase ID, version.
QTest is a test management tool developed by QASymphony and integrated with Agile development. One can add the project requirements, create test cases, run the tests, and store test results.
- Easy User Interface enables users to track the testing activities.
- Integrate of QTest with Bugzilla or JIRA.
- Easy Import/Export of test cases from Excel spreadsheet.
- Customizable reports to display the data useful to you using filter and sort options on date or field.
- Track changes to test cases and requirements.
- Reuse test cases and test suites across multiple releases.
9. QMetry Test Management
The QMetry tool is one of the best test management tools. Integrated with Jira and CI/CD tools like Bamboo and Jenkins and Automation Frameworks. Its main features include requirement tracking, test case management, test execution, reporting, user management, and issue management.
- End to End test management.
- Test Execution management.
- Integration with CI/CD and Automation tools.
- Helps Agile and DevOps teams to increase the quality of the product.
It is designed to organize all the testing efforts on one platform. You can maintain test case repositories, execute test cycles, and log defects.
- Easy to use and Simple UI.
- One-stop shop for test case management and bug tracking.
- Multiple users can work on the same item and all feedback is shared in one place.
- Allows users to easily create the projects, modules, test cases, testing cycles, Execute the test cases, log the defects, and generate reports.
- Easy import/export of test cases in various formats(Excel, Word, CSV).