Rhino vs SketchUp
Rhino and SketchUp both are advanced modelling, sculpting and animation software used for creating different styles of animation, models, visual effects etc. They are used by different industries for different purposes ranging from advertisement to commercial production of animation works and marketing. They are used in designing buildings, machine parts, assets for games and movies etc. Both come with robust sculpting, animation, texturing and visual effects features. There is always been confusion in choosing software for the work which would be best suited for them. So let’s understand the key differences between these softwares.
Rhino is an abbreviation for Rhinoceros 3D and it is a graphic software which is used for making 3D models and designs for different projects. Its stable version was released in 2020. It was built using C++, .Net and other programming languages. It is available for Windows and MacOS.
Advantages of Rhino
- It has great features for modelling including subdivision modelling.
- It has the ability to convert different 3D files to other formats.
- It can be easily paired with other software like Grasshopper to create complex and unusual geometries.
- Its rendering features are much faster as compared to other software.
Limitations of Rhino
- Sometimes it gets hung when views are changed from solid mode to render mode.
- It does not have many shortcuts and most of the tasks are done manually.
SketchUp is computer software which is used for making 3D designs and modelling 3D assets for different purposes like animated movies, games etc. It is one of the best software which comes packed with a robust toolset using which anyone can create 3D models of interiors, machinery, products etc. Initially, it was released in 2000 and its stable version was released in 2019.
Advantages of SketchUp
- It comes with pre-built doors, roofs, walls etc to ease modelling work.
- It allows putting building models on actual sites using google earth.
- It allows third-party plugins for supporting advanced features.
- It has 2D modelling functionality along with 3D modelling.
Disadvantages of SketchUp
- Realistic photo rendering is not available in this software.
- It does not have any feature to automate tasks so everything is needed to be done manually.
- Community support for this software is also low.
Following is a table of differences between Rhino and SketchUp:
|1.||Rhino can be understood as a graphic software which is used in designing and modelling 3D assets for various purposes.||Sketchup also known as Google SketchUp is a 3D designing and modelling software which provides easy-to-use tools for modelling.|
|2.||It was developed by Robert McNeel & Associates.||It was developed by Trimble Incorporation.|
|3.||Rhino is available at $995 annually.||SketchUp Shop is available at $119 annually.|
|4.||Its files are saved with the .3DM extension.||Its files are saved with the .SKP extension.|
|5.||It provides a trial of 90 days.||It provides a trial of 30 days.|
|6.||It is available in many languages like English, French, Italian, German, Korean etc||It is available in only two languages English and Swedish.|
|7.||It only supports 3d animation and modelling.||It allows 2d modelling along with 3d modelling.|
|8.||Community support is low.||It provides better community support.|