Quote Guessing Game using Web Scraping in Python
Prerequisite: BeautifulSoup Installation
In this article, we will scrape a quote and details of the author from this site http//quotes.toscrape.com using python framework called BeautifulSoup and develop a guessing game using different data structures and algorithm.
The user will be given 4 chances to guess the author of a famous quote, In every chance the user will be provided with a hint which can be the author’s birth date, first name’s first letter, second name’s first letter, etc. On successfully guessing the author, a message is printed and if the user fails to guess the answer even after all the 4 chances then again a message is printed along with the answer.
- Import module
- requests help us grab the page, when the response is received it is stored in the form of a string
- bs4 library is used to create beasutifulSoup object.
- csv library helps reading and writing CSV files using python
- sleep function from time module helps add delay in the execution of the program.
- choice function from random module returns a random element.
- Create a list to store values scraped
- Scrape the details from this link: http//quotes.toscrape.com
- Extract data
- Game logic
- Return random items from the dictionary created
- Set number of guesses
- Write message for success and failure
- Keep giving hints until either number of chances reach zero or the user gets it right