PHP Full Form
PHP is the abbreviation of Hypertext Preprocessor and earlier it was abbreviated as Personal Home Page. It is a general-purpose programming language used to design a website or web application. It is the server-side scripting language embedded with HTML to develop Static website, Dynamic website, or Web applications. It was created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994. The syntax of PHP is similar to C, C++, and Java. It manages the dynamic content, database, session, cookies, etc of a dynamic website.
Characteristics of PHP:
- Open Source: It is an open-source programming language so it can download freely.
- Simplicity: Since PHP does not include libraries like C/C++ so its structure is simple. It contains lots of pre-defined functions to secure your data. Execution of PHP starts from (<?php) and end with closing escape sequence (?>).
- Efficiency: PHP 4.0 uses resource allocation mechanisms and object-oriented programming, in addition to session management features. It eliminates unnecessary memory allocation.
- Security: Many encryption functions are supported by PHP to secure the data.
- Object-Oriented: The object-oriented programming features are added in PHP 4.0.
Advantages of PHP:
- It is supported by all Operating Systems like Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.
- It is easy to connect with the database to store and retrieve data from the database. Multiple databases can also be integrated with PHP.
- It is the fastest programming language compared to other programming languages.
- PHP frameworks and tools are used to protect web applications from outer attacks and security threats.
Disadvantages of PHP:
- Since PHP is open-source so its code is visible to all programmers. If any bugs exist in the source code then its weakness can be explored by other programmers.
- It is not suitable for large applications because its maintenance is difficult.
- The error handling of a PHP framework is not good.