Overview of ITOps
ITOps stands for Information Technology Operations. The name itself explains that ITOps refers to the operations done in an IT department within a larger organization or business. ITOps is also known as TechOps.
Operations of ITOps :
- The operations that come under ITOps are setting up and taking care of IT infrastructure that includes installation and maintenance of networks, managing the data centers, internal help desk, storage, server & devices. But the development and implementation of applications, software & systems are not covered by ITOps.
- ITOps is essential because it is fully responsible for the services provided by IT organization systems and components (hardware, software & networking devices) for running a business smoothly.
- ITOps helps businesses to be more productive, swift & secure.
- The operations are done by the ITOps team consisting of operators & a manager.
Functioning of ITOps :
Here is what exactly the ITOps do as following.
- ITOps team runs solutions –
The purpose of having the ITOps team is to run solutions by them. They are responsible for data backups, restore, configurations, handling servers, and doing whatever it takes to optimize the performance and resource allocation for effective delivery.
- Manage infrastructure and configuration –
Managing the IT infrastructure consisting of computation, networks, hardware as well as the software applications run on them. And configuration of components comes under this segment.
- Evolution of infrastructure and administrate IT department –
Upgrading the components based on the needs which leads to more productivity, security & fastness is the responsibility of the ITOps team.
- Mitigating disaster –
The ITOps team takes care of the business organization’s disaster recovery & the team is prepared beforehand. They plan, simulate, and practice disaster situations to predict business downtime and reduction of revenue.
management responsibility of ITOps :
ITOps creates management processes to take care of all the IT needs of an organization. Here are the four main functions of management responsibility as follows.
- Infrastructure management
- Development management
- Problem management
- Security management
Let’s discuss it one by one.
- Infrastructure Management –
Designing, configuring, maintenance of all. Updating software, hardware, operating system, and application software in on-premise data centers or the cloud.
- Development Management –
ITOps exactly specifies what to do, how to do it, workflow, and all the things that software needs to succeed. The ITOps team and DevOps team work closely to integrate stable performance and sequential solutions.
- Problem Management –
This part is split into two categories. One is a Preventative measure and another one is a Reactive measure.
3(a) Preventive measure :
The team expects a disaster situation and finds ways to avoid any negative impacts on the IT environment.
3(b) Reactive measure :
This approach is used to deal with critical situations, cyber-attacks and other problem occurrences by implementing disaster recovery and help desk services.
- Security Management –
- This function deals with keeping the hardware, software secured, managing access control in the organization, implementing security within development operations and making sure that standards are met across the environment.
- To deal with the data effectively and make use of the data to the organization’s advantage ITOps teams prefer AI-powered automation systems “AIOps”- Artificial Intelligence for IT Operations, instead of domain-based management tools and manual monitoring tools.
- AIOps automates and improves ITOps through data analytics and machine learning. That is why “AIOps is considered the future of ITOps”.