Oracle Interview Experience for Application Engineer | On-Campus 2020 (Virtual)
Oracle visited our campus for virtual hiring for two roles, Server Technology Role and Application Engineer Role.
Around 500 students appeared for the online test.
Round 1 Online Test (107 mins): Firstly they conducted an online test on their own platform which was proctored (Camera and Mic). The test consisted of many sections and each section has subsections that had a fixed amount of time for attempting.
Aptitude, DSA Concepts(mainly AVL, Threaded Binary Search Tree, Flow chart completion), CS subjects theory from OS, DBMS, OOP’s, Software Engineering. And some English based aptitude and reasoning.
Around 40 students were shortlisted for each profile for further process. I was selected for the Application Engineer profile.
The interviews were held on the Zoom platform and each round was an elimination round.
Round 2 Technical Interview -1 (45 mins):
- The round started with an introduction of both myself and the interviewer.
- I was asked just one coding question in this round, I had to write a full working code on a shared coderPad.
- The question was given an arithmetic expression like 4+(5*2)/3-1, I had to determine whether the given arithmetic expression is valid or not.
- I told him a stack-based approach he was satisfied, then he asked me to do it without using stack, I was able to code that too.
- Then for each of my approach, he gave 18-20 test cases to pass which were having different errors like unbalanced parenthesis or consecutive operands together ( 4++2) both of my approaches passed all the test cases
- Finally, he gave me 2 test cases that contained space like (4 2).. my stack solution gave the wrong answer for this I was going to rectify the solution but due to the paucity of time, he said its alright.
- I was selected for the next round.
Round 3 Technical Interview -2 (1 hr): The interview started with both of our introduction and then he asked about the situation of covid19 in my city. Then he asked about my favorite subject, I answered DBMS and this whole round was based on DBMS and SQL.
- He asked me about functional dependencies, partial dependency, transitive dependency, multivalued dependencies
- Questions and definitions on normalization and normal forms 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, BCNF, 4NF.
- Then he gave me an ER diagram and asked me to convert it into a relational table which was optimized, i.e contained minimum redundancy.
- The interviewer then moved towards SQL and asked me several questions related to SQL
- Types of Constraints in SQL (I answered primary key, foreign key, unique, not null, increment, default index.) he asked me to explain each one of them
- Can foreign keys and primary keys have null values?
- SQL injection
- Joins and types of joins
- What are views in SQL, types of Views, can we have views combining two tables, conditions for inserting, deleting, and updating in a view.
- Then he asked me to list down all DDL, DML, DCL commands I knew and explain their function.
- He gave me two tables one student table and one department table asked me to write 5-6 SQL query based on these tables queries were easy all the queries required joining the two tables
- One query which was trick was to find the student name having 6th rank in his branch, I did it using LIMIT, but he asked me to do it without using LIMIT or TOP.
- He asked me whether I knew about PL/SQL, I answered yes so he asked me questions related to it
- Basic syntax
- Triggers in PL/SQL
- Difference between procedures and functions in PL/SQL.
- Cursors in PL/SQL.
- After that, he asked me whether I have any questions for him, I asked him 2-3 questions and this round was concluded.
- I was selected for the next round
Round 4 Managerial+Project Round (45 mins):
- Again the round started with introductions, and then he asked me how I maintained my CGPA throughout college.
- Then he asked me two to give a brief description of two of my projects.
- He seemed interested in one of my projects based on Computer Vision and Machine Learning, so we had a detailed discussion on this project.
- Again in this round, I was asked DBMS concepts like indexing, normalization, transactions.
- Then he asked me a design question, given a cab booking application like Ola, we have to integrate a ChatBox feature in the app, I was asked what features will I implement and about its database and backend.
- He then asked whether I had any questions, so I asked him about the topics which he had discussed in the PPT.
This concluded the round the interviewer was satisfied and impressed with my academic performance and my knowledge of databases. I was selected for further process.
Round 5 HR Round (15 mins): Hr round had typical hr questions.
- Tell me something that’s not on your resume
- How were your previous rounds and how much was I able to answer?
- Why do you want to join oracle?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Then she asked whether I had any questions, I asked her questions relating to my profile.
Then the HR told me that my process is complete and results will be declared shortly.
Result: Selected. I was among the 18 students selected.
Be confident during the interview, and if you don’t have any knowledge about a topic tell the interviewer, don’t beat around the bush. Be thorough with subjects like DBMS, OS, Networking, and OOPS concepts.
Please Login to comment...