Must-Have Skills For Every Software Tester in 2022
Software testers are the professionals who are involved in the quality assurance stage of software development. They need to handle a wide variety of tasks which includes planning requirements, creating and executing test cases, reporting errors, setting up a test environment, etc. As per the survey the software testing market has exceeded USD 40 billion and is expected to grow by 7% by 2027. It is an amazing field that offers astonishing job opportunities, insanely high salaries, global recognition, and growth opportunities.
So if you are willing to make your career in this promising domain but are worried about where to start. Then don’t worry we are here to rescue you with our roadmap of essential skills for every software tester. In this blog, we will discuss must-have skills for every software tester in 2022. So let’s get started:
1. Automation Testing
Test automation is a method of software testing that focuses on automation tools to control the execution of tests rather than manual testing techniques. This offers some amazing advantages like faster feedback timing, reduced business expenses, enhanced accuracy, eliminating human error, and many more. So knowledge of automation techniques and tools is a must-have skill for every software tester in 2022. Some automation testing tools that you must know are:
- Apache Jmeter
- Katalon Studio
To get more information about automation testing and its different tools click here.
2. Proficiency in Programming Languages
Knowledge of programming languages is really important to enhance your automation testing skills. Software testers must be familiar with a common programming language to communicate more proficiently with the members of the IT department. Further automation testing involves code coverage, statement coverage, etc. and all these concepts require in-depth knowledge of programming skills.
3. Knowledge of Test Management Tools
Test management solutions help you to design test cases, cater test requirements, resource management, and a lot more. Knowledge of test management is crucial in avoiding errors getting into production. Some test management tools that you need to know in 2022 are:
- TestRail: It is a test management software tool that helps teams manage and track software testing efforts.
- TestPad: It is a lightweight test planer that aims to provide enough test processes without difficult test management infrastructure.
- QADeputy: It is a full-featured test management tool designed for small to medium-sized teams that enhance testing productivity to a great extent.
- TestLink: It is among the best test management tools that include planning, reporting, requirement tracking, and testing specifications.
SDLC stands for software development life cycle. Testers need to know SDLC so they can easily plan testing cycles. Further in-depth knowledge of the software development life cycle will also help them to get a clear idea about software complexities and take appropriate measures beforehand to prevent them. Some development methodologies that a tester must learn include:
- Scrum: it is a lightweight framework that helps in team organization and solving complex problems.
- Kanban: It is a very amazing framework that helps to implement agile and DevOps software development.
- Waterfall: It is a project management approach that focuses on linear progression from beginning to ending of the project.
To get more in-depth knowledge about the Software development life cycle read the article SDLC.
5. Agile Methodology
Agile Methodology refers to the way of managing projects by breaking them into smaller steps. This methodology promotes flexibility and collaboration in software testing. Agile teams are cross-functional with testers, software developers, and business teams communicating on daily basis. This means all the teams contribute effectively to producing a high-quality product. In this approach, a high-quality product is delivered by the team after stepping out of their comfort zones. Software testers need to have in-depth knowledge of agile testing tools like:
- Selenium web driver
6. Analytical Skills
A good software tester must have excellent analytical skills. This will help the tester to break down a complex system into smaller chunks and get a clear understanding of the code. Further, it will help to design better test cases that will enhance the overall productivity of the system. The main work of the tester is to identify the problem and provide the best strategy to tackle that issue. This can only be achieved if they have an analytical bend of mind that helps them to analyze the issues, bugs, and security breaches.
7. Excellent Communication Skills
As per the survey, 41% of the jobs require excellent communication skills and software testing is one of them. Testers need to communicate with different teams in the project and clients so communication skills play a crucial role in that. Good communication will boost your career to a great extent it will further help you:
- Effectively communicate about bug reports and provide recommendations to improve them.
- Send error-free emails to different members of the organization regarding improvements and suggestions for the product.
- Can explain the technical terms in plain English that are easy to understand.
8. Project Management
Project management skills are beneficial for every software tester to make them accountable, answerable, and inculcate management skills. This skill contributes to improving the whole test process and providing a high-quality product. To begin inculcating this skill you must start by taking ownership of your work and then expand your scope of ownership. You can learn about project management skills by observing how your managers take care of deliveries and projects. Further, this will help to avoid miscommunication and confusion between different teams.