Morgan Stanley | Summer Analyst Internship | India | On-Campus 2020
Status: Prefinal year student of Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
Date: August 2020
It was an on-campus opportunity.
Round I: Online Assessment
This round was divided into three sections:
- 10 multiple-choice questions in 20 minutes on logical ability, aptitude, probability, time and work, and so on. 8 were simple, and 2 were difficult because they required inferring data from a bar graph, a sales table, or a pie chart.
- 7 Debugging Questions in 20 Minutes: It is necessary to detect and correct logical and syntactical errors. (ProTip: If there is no code written in the editor, code from scratch using the functions/classes provided.)
- 3 Coding Questions in 60 Minutes: All of the questions had a very misleading description that was completely different from what was required to do. So read carefully to grasp the meaning.
- Find and print the connected components in the graph in descending order with respect to the sum of values in the component, and if that is the same, then based on the number of nodes in the component, given a graph with values written on nodes.
- A greedy question that could be answered with a priority queue or a multiset.
- If X is less than Y and is placed after Y in an array, the randomnessFactor of X with Y is defined as the difference of X and Y. Print the pair’s indices with the highest randomnessFactor.
14 students were chosen for interviews out of a total of 150.
Round II: Interviews
1. A technical interview
- To clone a singly linked list, use a stack, a queue, or both. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/a-linked-list-with-next-and-arbit-pointer/
- Given an array of 0,1s, find the position of a 0 where a 1 could be placed to maximize the distance between 1s. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/maximize-distance-between-any-two-consecutive-1s-after-flipping-m-0s/
- Determine whether it is possible to convert S into T by rotating string S left or right any number of times given two strings S and T. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/check-string-can-obtained-rotating-another-string-2-places/
- All of the numbers in an array repeat twice except one; find that number. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-element-appears-array-every-element-appears-twice/
- Find a factorial of a large number. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/factorial-large-number/
- Questions about OOP concepts and applications.
- Questions about operating systems and computer architecture
- A quick discussion of the projects mentioned in the resume.
Only six students advanced to the next round.
2. Tech + Managerial Interview
- This round included extensive project discussion, followed by counter-questions. One must be familiar with the algorithms used in the project’s development as well as its applications beyond the project’s scope.
- The resume’s highlights were discussed, followed by some HR and behavioral questions.
Finally, three students were offered positions, and I was one of them.
My key takeaways
- Before moving on to the solution, make sure you have thoroughly understood the question.
- Don’t take too long in between.
- Write code on notepad/Google Docs to practice.
- If you are unsure of the answer, be honest and tell them.
- Prepare an example from your own life to illustrate your point during the HR round.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon and Microsoft Test Serieses.