Microsoft Interview Experience for Internship | On-Campus
A Short Overview: Microsoft came to our campus to select candidates for Summer Intern in July 2021. Out of the 244 candidates (from CSE + ECE + EE ) who applied for the position of SWE Intern, only 18 students were selected finally. The entire process was virtual and was conducted in 1+3 ( 1→ coding round + 3 →interview rounds) rounds.
Coding Rond(Total -1): The coding round was conducted on the Codility Platform and consisted of 2 questions and had to be solved in 90 minutes. There were 2 Questions and both of them were of very standard topics like array and string. You can find those questions here:-
- 1st question link (based on the array): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63132225/maximum-distance-two-frogs-can-create-by-starting-at-any-index-in-a-list-in-on
- 2nd question link (based on string): https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/generate-a-string-consisting-of-characters-a-and-b-that-satisfy-the-given-conditions/
Interview/Technical Rounds(Total – 3):
Round 1: This round went on for nearly 80 minutes for me. The interviewer was very friendly and helpful and he first asked me to introduce myself. Then he asked me the topics that I like most in coding. After all this, he started with a basic 1st question based on the array(below is the link)
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-maximum-minimum-sum-subarray-size-k/. He also asked me to suggest some test cases and write the code for the same and then asked me to dry run a test case.
- https://massivealgorithms.blogspot.com/2016/06/leetcode-364-nested-list-weight-sum-ii.html2nd Question was based on Queue(below is the link):
- After that he slightly made changes in the 2nd question he told instead of nested lists, he will provide me with a graph of the same.
- I discussed my approach and some edge cases and wrote the code. He was quite happy with my approach (dfs). After all the coding stuff he asked me do you have any questions and after that, the interview ended.
Round 2(Coding + OOPs Concept):– After the long wait I was called for my 2nd round on Day-2. This round went on for nearly 45 minutes for me. The interviewer was very friendly and helpful and he first asked me to introduce myself and he also asked about my academics(Courses, CGPA).
After all this, he asked me: What is a static variable, and where it is stored in my memory (based on the OOPs concept )?
- He first asked me two write the frequency of each element in the array (link is below). https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/counting-frequencies-of-array-elements/
- He asked one question based on bit manipulation based on the AND(&) operator( I don’t exactly remember the question ^_^).
- The 3rd question was based on the Z-algorithm (link is below)→ https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/remove-all-occurrences-of-a-word-from-a-given-string-using-z-algorithm/
After all this stuff the interview ended.
Round 3( HR ): This round went about for nearly 30 minutes. He asked many HR related questions like:-
- Introduce yourself
- Your Goal
- Your inspiration
- My projects
- Why do you want to join Microsoft
- Future plans
- How were my previous rounds
- My hobbies, skills etc.