LinkedIn Interview Experience for Staff Software Engineer 2020
Status: Working in SFO as a Senior Staff/Principal Software Engineer.
Position: Staff Software Engineer.
Phone Interviews: Background/Staff Interview: (60 mins)
- 10 minutes – Brief introduction to the interviewer
- Leadership: The roles of SE and SSE and how to transition from SE to SSE, as well as conflict resolution with your peers
- Implementation: A few high-level SD questions. Components with a single monolithic application
- Craftsmanship: How did you fare? – challenges, as well as most proud work, etc.
- 5 minutes for any questions from the interviewee.
Technical Phone Screen: (60 mins)
5 mins – Quick intro on interviewer
- Question #1: In Reverse Polish Notation, calculate the value of an arithmetic expression.[https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/evaluate-the-value-of-an-arithmetic-expression-in-reverse-polish-notation-in-java/]
- Question #2: check for pair in a given array with sum as the given target. [https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/given-an-array-a-and-a-number-x-check-for-pair-in-a-with-sum-as-x/]
Follow up: same question is asked for three elements of the array sum.[just talk no implementation].
- Please follow up with examples from your own life for each question in the background round.
- Discuss all possible solutions to the problems and why you chose the one you implemented in the phone interview.
Host Manger Round: (60 mins)
Explained about his role. and asked some questions:
- How you are managing people. Hiring/firing?
- Daily life activities?
- How much you code daily, and what platform you are using for code?
- Web architecture as it stands today
- When do you involve your Manager?
- Some system design scenarios: How do we handle company merger scenarios? Scenarios of migration.
Coding + Algorithm: (60 mins)
- Minimum sum of product of two arrays. [https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/minimum-sum-product-two-arrays/].
- Print leaf nodes of a Binary Tree. [https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/print-leaf-nodes-left-right-binary-tree/]
Lunch Interview Round: (60 mins)
Feedback is recorded here.
- Graph of economics
- On ML Opportunities, I inquired about LinkedIn culture/framework.
- Which companies are you interviewing with?
- What do you hope to accomplish in the new companies?
Staff Craftsmanship: (60 mins)
Some questions were focused on:
- Review of the code
- The significance of a test suite.
- Is there a cost to code review?
- How did you teach your junior engineer about craftsmanship, give example?
- Ability to make decisions and lead by example.
- Choose between scalability, performance, and quality.
- Concentrate more on this because it is critical for Staff SE. Understanding SD will help but be prepared for anything.
- Before you begin coding, be prepared to explain the strategy/algorithm and reach an agreement on it.
Recruiter called after 2 days and said I was selected for the staff software engineer.
Hey geek! It’s time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!