What is Protocol?
A network protocol defines rules and conventions for communication between network devices. By adopting these rules, two devices can communicate with each other and can interchange the information.
- ftp: The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used for the transfer of computer files between a client and server on a computer network.
- http: The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is an application protocol for distributed system.
- https: The Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is an extension of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) for secure communication and widely used in Internet.
- file: It is used for file or in local server system.
- mailto: It is used in mail system.
Return Value: The protocol property returns the protocol of the current URL, including the colon (:).