Internet of Everything
Internet Of Everything (IoE) has been one of the trending topics lately, and it’s here, IoE is the upcoming most innovative and Ubiquitous technology advancement which is going to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before. Turning information into action creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented economic opportunities for businesses, individuals, and countries.
Technically, IoE refers to billions of devices and consumer products connected to the internet in an intelligent networked environment with expanded digital features.
It is basically a philosophy in which our technology future is composed of different types of appliances, devices, and things connected to the global internet.
As of now, the internet connection is only restricted to phone/Tablets, PCs and a handful of other devices but the idea behind IoE is that in the future, machines will become more intelligent and cognitive by having more access to data and expanded network opportunities.
In simpler terms, IoE is the intelligent connection of people, processes, data, and things that will be transforming our world in such a way that there will be billions of connected devices having sensors to detect, measure and access their status all of which will be connected over a public or private network built over standard protocols like TCP/IP.
So how is the; Internet of Everything any different from the Internet of Things?
Well, the difference is the intelligent connection. IoT is mostly about physical devices and objects communicating with each other, but IoE brings with it network intelligence to bind all these concepts together into a cohesive system.
IoT has been limited to only machines thus achieving Machine Machine Communication but IoE brings together people, processes, data, and things and adds them into the network therefore not just phone/tablets and PCs but people. Health Fitness bands, Coffee pots, Marine Container’s all become a Node in an intelligent network communicating with each other. The more expansive IoE concepts include, besides M2M communication, M2P, and technology-assisted P2P communication.
The IoE Economy will profoundly affect four major Aspects of our lives:
- People: People will be connected to the internet in more relevant ways and will be generating data and interacting with devices not only through Mobile’s/Tablet’s, PC’s, and Social networks but also through Sensors placed on human skins or sewn into clothing which will provide a person’s vital signs. In this way, people will themselves becomes Nodes on the internet.
A good example is Nike’s wearable fitness band’s which read a person’s vital signs and sports apparel and gears embedded with chips that track the performance of Athletes.
- Things: Things and physical items such as sensors, industry devices, consumer products, and enterprise assets will be connected to the internet or to each other, also fetching information from their surroundings, will be more context-aware, more cognitive, more intelligent, often so-called the internet of things.
As of 1984, only 1000 devices were connected to the internet which increased to about 1 million in 1992 and shot across 10 Billion in 2010, and as Cisco predicts there will be around 50 billion devices connected to the internet by 2020. These devices will be fetching data from their environment internally or externally and sending it back to the server for analyzing and making much more intelligent decisions.
- Data: Rather than simply collecting Raw data, these connected devices will be sending higher-level, more processed data back to respective servers for faster evaluation or more intelligent decision-making.
Here the data is more about insightful information and action plan than just a random chunk. Figuring out a way to decipher the right flow of information is the key to making the best use of Big Data and as the types of data and sources increase, in order to draw useful insight there will be a need to classify information and analyze it.
- Process: With the equivalent of the IOE process, the right information will be delivered to the right person at the right time in an appropriate way.
Technology-based Businesses will be relying on data to make further decisions and advance their workflow processes and strategies, and will be therefore competing to leverage the data faster than their competitors for agile and faster decision-making.
General Electrics predicts that IoE can add 15 trillion dollars to the Global Domestic Product while Cisco estimates 19 trillion in savings and profits for companies that can leverage IoE. But as the number of devices connected to the internet increase and therefore collect more data, privacy is put at risk which increases security concerns, but as these devices grow more intelligent, hopes are that the device and network will grow knowledgeable enough to detect, stop and prevent any harmful threats. IoE is here and is inevitable, we should embrace ourselves to adapt our lives to the changes that it brings with it.
IOE has the potential to manage different fields, several industry verticals are accepting IOE to speed up their daily operations.
Some of the real-life examples of IOE:
1. Manufacturing sector: In the manufacturing sector LOE is act as a developing sensor across production machinery and equipment. These sensor help to detect physical damage i.e. breakdown erosion in the machinery and calculate the financial loss due to damage. The sensor sends the notification and help companies in preemptive repairs where the decision can be taken before the situation is critical according to the maintenance of the equipment.
2. Public sector: In the public sector. IOE enables medical professionals to provide medical services at a faster pace. This include generating medical report, getting real time update on a patients health response to certain medications.
3. Wearable device: Wearable devices like smart watches, smart clothing, fitness band, shoes etc., can offer benefit, to people using there products.
4. Municipality system: Municipality system can develop smart meters to check units of electricity and water usages.
5. Retail industry: Now a days, the retail industry has a great online presence. They can be make independent website, mobile application and social media handle to increase profit.
6. Logistics industry: several logistics, supply chain, and delivery companies using IOE to optimize there delivery operations. Blockchain-based technologies, sensors and smart devices on trucks and ships are widely used.