How VPNs Affect Internet Speed?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It is used to establish a secure and protected connection with the public and the private area network of the user’s identity. The VPNs are responsible for merging the username and the ID of the person and then masking it to create a new separate ID which creates an anonymous account of the user so that the online trackers and cookies cannot break the encryption services and look into the user’s browsing activity. The VPNs block the third-party data and websites to track the user’s activity and then steal their personal data for frauds and scams etc.
The VPNs are responsible for carrying out the masking of the IP addresses of the users and then creating a new IP address to allot it to the user which is created by the VPNs using a remote server machine on the user’s network. The VPNs play a very important role in data masking because they hide the IP addresses of the user so now, literally no one including the internet providers will be able to catch the browsing history of the user’s computer network. The VPNs perform encryption over your IP address so that anyone cannot gain access to unauthorized personalized information about the user.
Responsibilities of the VPN:
The various responsibilities of the VPNs are stated as follows:
- Encryption: The attacker cannot use third-party websites and trackers including cookies to break into the computer of the user if he is using a virtual private network on it. The VPNs use encryption to create a public and a private key for decryption. So, it becomes very much difficult for the attacker to break the encryption algorithm and decipher the code using the brute force or the hit-and-trial method also.
- Secure data transmission: The VPNs make sure that you have an established secure connection in your computer which deals with the secure and encrypted data transfer between two routers gateways that exist within a network between which the data transmission is to take place.
- Located regional data: There are some websites that are blocked in a particular region of the world. But with the help of the VPNs, it is very easy to access the data in a particular region of the world where even that website is blocked by some large organization or even the government. These type of websites and services contains some location permissions from the users belonging to that particular region, but the VPNs allow the users to not store the continuous table of logs of activity of the user which will ultimately not show the location region from which the user is accessing to the organization and hence, he can access the blocked data using the VPNs.
- Spoofing: The VPNs have the ability to spoof the IP addresses and the location of the region from which the user is accessing the data for browsing purposes. The VPNs have the ability to mask these addresses and then create a separate new fake region location along with the IP address which hides the user’s identity and makes it look anonymous.
- Block trackers and ads: The VPNs have the ability to trap and catch all the creepy cookies, trackers, and third-party websites of the attackers. The VPNs create a warning message to the user so that they cannot obey the tracking and the creepy behavior monitoring applications. We can easily turn all the types of trackers, bloatware, malware, and ads present on the insecure third-party websites that may contain some harmful deployers to harm the users on the Internet.
Working on The VPNs:
The Working of The VPNs takes place in the following manner:
- Whenever we start the VPNs, we look for the security of the web browser and the activity. As soon as the VPNs start their operation, then it creates a secure tunnel transport mode between the user and the host server machine of the VPNs. No one except the user can make the presence of the tunnel that exists in between the user for the working of the VPNs.
- The VPNs now start working by masking our IP addresses and then giving us any random IP addresses and it also masks our location or region of presence by using spoofing methods.
- Our device now acts as a host machine for the VPNs to be acted upon by the local area network-connected devices on the internet.
How the VPNs affect internet speed?
Since the VPNs have to carry out multiple tasks, hence they affect the browsing speed and the performance in the following ways:
- The VPNs work by creating a tunnel separate for each user connected to the internet using the computer network, then the process gets slowed down simultaneously and also the performance gets degraded because the computer resources might not be huge enough to deal with the data rerouting and data transmission processes of the computer network.
- The tasks that consume the most amount of time in the VPNs are the encryption and data rerouting transmission which are finally dependent on the amount and speed of the data packets which are transmitted to the tunnel created by the VPNs between the end user’s host machine and the target web server.
- The VPNs are mostly depending on the internet connection speed so as far as how the internet data packets are transferred and they only are responsible for encrypting each data packet over the internet.
- For the basic purpose, The VPNs have to perform the encryption of the data packets and then send it to a tunnel which is to secure the connection between the VPN server and the host machine.
- Latency plays a huge role in decreasing the internet speed of the computer network by decreasing the rate per time of the data packets during the transmission process. When the VPN server and the host machine are full of connection request failures at a particular instant of time, then the server load increases to its maximum thereby decreasing the speed of the internet connection.
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is the block cipher algorithm that is used to perform the encryption algorithm for the various types of bits like – 128 bit, 256 bit, and 512-bit connections for encryption.
- When the distance to be traveled by the data bits on the tunnel in the VPN increases then, it might require a large amount of time for the computer to address and read the blocks of data coming back and then determine the internet connection in the local area network which is connected via the tunnel for the VPN server and the host machine.
- A poorly optimized VPN can hinder the internet performance speed of your computer because it does not perform effective encryption algorithms for VPNs and hence, they consume a large amount of time in these basic operations, so they are not very effective in the internet speed of the data blocks.
- Not all VPN services are slow, it only depends on how well they are optimized for their operations like – encryption, rerouting, and data transmission through the tunnel created by the VPN services.
How to improve the speed with VPN?
We can improve the VPN speed in the following ways;-
- We should choose the nearest possible server from our location to increase our internet speed using the VPNs.
- We should avoid using online services and websites that have a lot of internet traffic on them so as to avoid loading servers with extra traffic that we can’t manage to increase our internet speed using VPNs.
- We should also choose some different VPN protocols while using the Internet so that the users can easily change their VPN providers as per their choice to increase our internet speed using the VPNs.
- We should enable split tunneling on our computer network devices so as to boost our internet connection speeds using the VPNs.
Using the above steps, we can easily boost internet speed using VPNs.
The VPNs are an important tool for maintaining a strong and secure Internet connection on a computer network including the tunnel which is created between the end user’s host machine and the VPN server for the data transmission, encryption, and rerouting processes. The VPNs have the ability to mask off your IP addresses and then route them through another specific virtual tunnel and then create random new IP addresses and new random regions of preference for the user to remain anonymous over the Internet. The encrypted virtual tunnel created in the VPNs is used by creating a set of public and private encryption keys for safety purposes.