How to Set Up a VoIP Phone at Home?
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a communication technology that allows users to make and receive voice calls over an internet connection rather than traditional telephone lines. VoIP service converts the voice into a digital signal and then transmits it over the internet. Nowadays VoIP is more popular than Traditional telephone lines because it is faster and cost-efficient. VoIP allows you to make phone calls and therefore Phone is the primary interface between the user and also the technology. Although you can use any kind of phone for using this service there are some limitations. Let’s discuss setting up a VoIP phone at home.
Setting up a VoIP phone at Home:
Step 1: Internet Connection: Before setting up a VoIP system, the system should have an Internet connection. For this, contact an Internet Service Provider(ISP) in your area. There are various plans offered by the ISPs according to the speed, so choose accordingly because the speed of the internet is essential for VoIP setup as the technology breaks voice data into packets, which are then sent over the connection.
Step 2: Choosing the Hardware: The VoIP service is not hardware specific and doesn’t need much-specialized hardware to get started with VoIP. It can even use your regular landline phones to connect to the service using a VoIP adapter. If you want to buy a phone then go for the IP phones which can be directly connected to the router using a LAN cable. Additionally, most smartphones, computers, and other communication media devices are capable of VoIP calling. So there are plenty of devices to choose from and make calls using a VoIP connection.
Step 3: Choose a VoIP service provider: VoIP service providers are companies that provides VoIP services to businesses and individual consumers. Contact a VoIP service provider available in your area to get connected to the service and enjoy its benefits. Share the basic details with the provider and they will be providing a VoIP number that will be used for calling purposes. Also, ensure that the provider you are choosing is reliable and affordable with good quality of service.
The phone must be connected to the internet with the help of cables or wifi. Connect the adaptor and connect it to the phone then power up. The VoIP service must be enabled by the VoIP provider. After finalizing the setup you have your home VoIP phone. You will need to keep your VoIP adaptor switched on all the time for uninterrupted VoIP phone service.
Advantages of VoIP:
- Cost Efficient: It is affordable and saves a lot of money than traditional telephone bills.
- Accessibility: With the service, it can call anywhere in the whole world where the internet is available.
- Portability: A VoIP number is a virtual number that is completely portable. You can use it anywhere through a VoIP-enabled device just by logging into your credentials through your VoIP provider.
Disadvantages of VoIP:
- Internet Dependent: It is dependent on the internet so VoIP service works until the internet connection works fine. If the network suffers any disconnectivity, the service is bound to suffer.
- Latency: If the internet speed is low you might face some latency issues. The voice may not be clear or there is a delay between sending and receiving data bits.
- Extra Cost: If VoIP is used to call someone without VoIP service, then it can incur additional costs.