How to Implement MultiSelect DropDown in Android?
In this article, we are going to see how we can make a MultiSelect DropDown in android studio and will select multiple items from a dropdown list. Advantages of MultiSelect DropDown.
- It is a good replacement for list boxes as it uses less space does the same work as a list box and gives a good look to UI.
- Dropdown lists are familiar selection mechanisms for most users since they are widely used both on the web and in android apps.
- User can select more than one item which he/she likes.
What we are going to build in this article?
In this article, we will be using a TextView, and we will set an onClickListener on that TextView so that whenever the user clicks on it dropdown list occurs. In the dropdown list, we will provide a feature to select multiple items, clear selected items, and a Button for canceling the selection process. Note that we are going to implement this application using Java language. A sample video is given below to get an idea about what we are going to do in this article.
Step by Step Implementation
Step 1: Creating a new project
- Open a new project.
- We will be working on Empty Activity with language as Java. Leave all other options unchanged.
- You can change the name of the project at your convenience.
- There will be two default files named activity_main.xml and MainActivity.java.
If you don’t know how to create a new project in Android Studio then you can refer to How to Create/Start a New Project in Android Studio?
Step 2: Working on activity_main.xml file
Here we will design the user interface of our application. We will be using the following components for their respective works:
- TextView: To allow users to click on it so that a dropdown list can appear and display the selected items in it.
- Drop-down arrow: to indicate to the user that some action will be completed after clicking it.
Use the following code in the activity_main.xml file.
After executing the above code design of the activity_main.xml file looks like this.
Step 3: Working with MainActivity.java file
Go to the MainActivity.java file and refer to the following code. Below is the code for the MainActivity.java file. Comments are added inside the code to understand the code in more detail.
Please Login to comment...