Godot vs Unreal Engine
Over the last decade, the gaming industry has gained a lot of popularity. More and more advanced games are being built for user’s entertainment, some of the top companies in this field are Sony Playstation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo etc. Building these games is a tough process and requires special game engines, two mostly used game engines are Unreal engine and Godot engines. Both of these softwares are designed especially for easing the game development process. A large number of games have been developed using these game engines like Harold Halibut, GooBall, Cruelty Squad, Carol Reed Mysteries etc. so we will compare these two game engines in detail.
Godot is computer software that is used for making 2D and 3D games for different operating systems. It is free and open-source software. It is a cross-platform software and is capable of running on different platforms like Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. It is written in C and C++ programming languages. It was first launched in 2014 and the stable release came in 2021. In this article, we will learn how to install Godot Game Engine on Windows.
Advantages of Godot
- It has a simple interface which is easy to use even by beginners.
- It supports the development of 2D games along with 3D games.
- Godot provides its own IDE for game development.
- It is cross-platform.
Disadvantages of Godot
- It lacks 2D physics capabilities.
- It does not have the capabilities to build heavy graphic games.
Unreal Engine is computer software made with the purpose of game development so it is a game engine. The development credit for this software goes to Epic Games and it was first launched in 1998. Its author is Tim Sweeney. It is capable of making 2D and 3D games. It is available for different operating systems like Windows, macOS, etc. It is easy to use and is capable of making complex games.
Advantages of Unreal Engine
- It has an easy interface with which game development can be easily started.
- It has a node feature which allows game development without writing codes.
- It comes with impeccable graphic quality.
- It has better rendering technology which is quite faster than other game engines.
- It comes with pre-built game levels which gives an initial start to the game developers.
Disadvantages of Unreal Engines
- It charges a 5% royalty, once your published game earns $1 million.
- It provides fewer plugins than that of Unity.
- It needs a high processor along with a dedicated graphic card and memory.
Following is a table of differences between the Godot engine and Unreal Engine:
|1.||It can be understood as a cross-platform game engine which provides robust tools to develop different types of games.||It can be understood as an advanced 3D creation tool used for developing photo-real visuals and games.|
|2.||It was developed by Juan Linietsky and Ariel Manzu.||It was developed by Epic Games.|
|3.||It is completely free.||It is free to use but a 5% royalty is charged when your game earns $1 million.|
|4.||It is built using the C++ programming language.||It is built using C++ and Blueprint programming languages.|
|5.||It is an open-source game engine.||It is not an open-source game engine.|
|6.||It has a market share of 6.11% in-game development market.||It has a market share of 23%.|
|7.||It is a lightweight software which has an executable file of 60 MB only.||It is heavy software which requires large disk space.|
|8.||It supports platforms like Windows, Mac OS, Linux etc||Unreal Engine is available for Windows and Mac but does not support the Linux Operating system.|