GATE | GATE CS 2020 | Question 25
Consider the following statements about the functionality of an IP based router.
- I. A router does not modify the IP packets during forwarding.
- II. It is not necessary for a router to implement any routing protocol.
- III. A router should reassemble IP fragments if the MTU of the outgoing link is larger than the size of the incoming IP packet.
Which of the above statements is/are TRUE ?
(A) I and II only
(B) I only
(C) II and III only
(D) II only
- I. False. A router modifies the IP packets during forwarding because TTL (Time to Live) is changing.
- II. True. A router need not implement any routing protocol. It can just forward packets in all the directions without doing any routing.
- III. False. Router does not assemble the packets. Assembling is done at destination system.
Option (D) is correct.
Quiz of this Question