Flappy Bird is an endless game that involves a bird that the player can control. The player has to save the bird from colliding with the hurdles like pipes. Each time the bird passes through the pipes, the score gets incremented by one. The game ends when the bird collides with the pipes or falls down due to gravity. The sections below describe the steps that have to be taken for building this game.
HTML Section: In this section, the elements of the game are created and loaded. The images for the background, bird, hurdles and the score elements are selected. Next, we create and link the style.css and index.js file.
CSS Section: In this section, the size, position and style of the game objects are modified according to need.
- Set some values for background scrolling speed, the flying speed of the bird, and gravity.
- Create the infinite scrolling background. A guide for doing this can be read from this link.
- Add an event listener to listen for the “enter” keypress to change the game state to the play state and apply gravity to the bird by decreasing the gravity value from the bird’s y-coordinate every frame.
- Generate hurdles (pipes) at the end of the view width so that they are not visible initially, but as the background moves, decrease the pipe’s x-coordinate by the background scrolling value so that it looks like the bird is moving.
- Apply collision with ground and pipes and if the bird collides then change the game state to end state and show a message to restart the game.
- Increment score value after every successful navigation between the pipes.
Please Login to comment...