Figma vs Inkscape
Images can be considered a great tool for simplifying difficult information for easy understanding. Images are available in different formats and sizes to fulfill different purposes. Some of the common formats are PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, etc. Images are created using special software like Photoshop, Inkscape, Figma, etc. These softwares are available as paid and free. So we will compare two commonly used software which are Inkscape and Figma.
What is Figma?
Figma is a proprietary software developed by Figma Incorporation for prototyping and vector graphic editing. It is an advanced tool with drag-and-drop functionality for making UI/UX designs. It supports different platforms like the Web, Android, iPhone/iPad, etc. It is very popular and is backed by a good community of developers.
Advantages of Figma
- No coding knowledge is required for creating website wireframes and mockups.
- It creates responsive designs which can be easily adjusted according to the screen size of different devices.
- It provides pre-built templates which are fully customizable and hence save designers time by cutting out initial effort.
- It has a fast loading speed as compared to other prototyping software.
Limitations/Disadvantages of Figma
- Internet connection is a must, it does not work offline.
- It lacks advanced text features.
What is Inkscape?
Inkscape is a vector graphic editor licensed under GPL 3.0 terms and conditions. It is built using C++ and Python. It allows customization with the use of python scripts. It was first launched in 2003 and supported different operating systems like Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, Windows, etc. Inkscape comes with advanced stroke brushes for detailing and shading.
Advantages of Inkscape
- Highly precise designs can be created using the node editing feature.
- It supports advanced filters and effects for making images fabulous and stunning.
- Images can be exported in numerous file formats.
- It also supports CAD tools along with vector and raster tools so to increase productivity.
Limitations of Inkscape
- Complex and heavy images are slower to process.
- It is unable to edit .eps files.
Following is a table of differences between Figma and Inkscape:
|Definition||It is a web application that is used for creating prototypes and mockups of websites and android applications.||It is an image editing and creation software that is used to work on different types of images including SVG images.|
|Integrations||It can be integrated with Height, Desech Studio, Dock, Origami Studio, etc.||It can be integrated with Graphic Tracer Professional, Lottie Files, Neptune OS, etc.|
|Purposes||It fulfills different purposes like UI Design, Prototyping, creating wireframes, etc.||It is used for purposes like logo designing, background removal, vector graphics, graphic designing, etc.|
|Pricing||It costs $15 per month for using Figma professional while the starter is free.||It is completely free for everybody.|
|Output file||Output files of Figma are generally heavy and take up more space.||The output file is smaller in size and takes less space.|
|Collaboration Feature||It has collaboration features.||It does not have collaboration features.|
|Animation||It has basic animation capabilities.||It does not have animation capabilities.|
|Sharing Mode||It has static as well as interactive design-sharing modes.||It has only a static design-sharing mode.|
On a detailed comparison of Figma and Inkscape features, it is found that Figma is good for prototyping and interface designing while for creating advanced images, Inkscape is good. So users can choose among the two software on the basis of requirements like creating a website mockup or creating a banner for an advertisement.