FAX Full Form
The full form of FAX is “facsimile”. It is usually written and spoken as FAX. Fax is a scanned copy of text and images that are printed on paper and used to send from source to destination with the help of a telephone line connected to a printer or other output devices. In the past 75 years. the fax transmission time has been reduced from an average of 6 minutes to an average of 1 minute. Mainly the device used to send documents electronically through a telephone network is called a FAX Machine.
How does it work?
It is a combination of both scanner and printer. Here the scanner scans the page or hardcopy of documents and converts it into a fixed graphic image then it is converted into a bitmap and transfers it with the help of a telephone line. Let us understand the working of Fax with the help of a real-life example, so suppose Riya wants to send a document to Mohit using Fax, then she inserts the documents in the Fax machine and then the machine scans the inserted documents and then convert them into fixed graphic images and transfer the data to Mohit with the help of the telephone line.
In 1842, Alexander Bain invented Fax technology. He is the very first person who transfers the text or images with help of a telephone line. Later, this technology is modified or improved by Frederick Bakewell and created the first image telegraph similar to the current fax machine. This is a very good technology till 21 century after that email takes over the fax technology. Emails are much faster, cheaper, and do not require any extra hardware.
To send a fax using a FAX machine follow the below steps:
Step 1: Place the document you want to send in the document feeder, there is usually a small icon that will show which were is: faceup: fax sending your document.
Step 2: Enter the fax number you want to send including the extension to dial externally oy and abt internationally dialing code.
Step 3: Press “send” or “go” (depending on your fax machine)
step 4: Wait for the text to finish scanning and sending your document.
Step 5: Take your confirmation page (if you have the feature enabled)
Step 6: Take your original document with you.
To receive a fax using a FAX machine follow the below steps:
Step 1: Check your fax machine that it is working properly.
Step 2: Check the fax machine contain enough amount of ink and paper.
Step 3: When the fax comes the phone of the fax machine will ring. You do not have to pick the call, the fax machine will automatically receive the call and print the data on the pages.
- In terms of cost, fax is a less expensive method of communication. Apart from the cost of the telephone paper, ink, etc.
- the speed of fax is faster even if the size of the file is large. It transfers the data within few seconds or minutes.
- It does not have any type of programming error and it is malware-free.
- The installation process of the fax machine is very simple and does not require any separate training. It simply connects to the telephone line and the wall socket.
- Like other machines(that is computers) it has less probability of getting hacked.
- It also allows users to send handwritten documents to the recipient. so that the recipient will get the exact copy of the data and can use it in legal procedures.
- The fax machine requires maintenance like ink, paper, toners, etc.
- The transmission quality of the data is low. The quality of received data is not equal to the send data. Or we can say the quality of sent data is low as compared to the original data.
- A landline connection is necessary to operate a fax machine. Because fax machines rely on landline numbers to transfer data from source to destination.
- It is not multitasking. This means we can not send and receive data at the same time.
- It is not portable.
- It is not environment friendly.