Differences between API Testing and Unit Testing
API Testing: An application programming interface (API) is a type of programming interface. API can be thought of as a bridge between two software systems that allows them to communicate. API testing entails evaluating application programming interfaces (APIs) both independently and as part of integration testing to see if they fulfill functionality, reliability, performance, and security requirements.
- API tests are only run when the build is complete.
- As the user interface with which an end-user will interact, API testing must represent the system as a whole.
- API testing is a type of black-box testing that focuses solely on the system under the test’s ultimate output.
Methods of API Testing:
- Security testing
- Automated testing
- Discovery testing
- Usability testing
Tools used in API Testing:
- REST assured
- Tricentis Tosca
- Ping API
- Katalon Studio
- Soap UI
Unit Testing: Its goal is to test each individual module as it becomes available and to verify whether the module carries out the mandatory functionality. Unit testing can be carried either manually or automatically.
- Ensure that the code is correct.
- Aid developers in comprehending the code base and allowing them to make changes fast.
- Save money by fixing bugs early in the development cycle.
- Unit testing has two types:
- Manual testing
- Automated testing
Tools used in Unit Testing:
Difference between API Testing and Unit Testing:
|Access main functionality of the system employed by end-user||Used to test each unit performs as expected or not.|
|It is carried out by the QA team.||It is carried out by developers.|
|The functionality has been tested from beginning to end.||Functionalities are put to the test.|
|Most of the time it is Black Box Testing.||This is White Box Testing.|
|Only API functions are put to the test.||UI testing is also a part of the process.|
|All functional issues are thoroughly examined.||Only the most basic functions are put to the test|
|Broader in scope||The scope is limited.|
|After the build is finished, it is run.||Usually performed prior to check-in.|
Please Login to comment...