Difference between Appium and Selenium
Appium is an automation tool that was built for testing all types of applications whether mobile, web or hybrid applications. It is open-source software that was built using the C# programming language. Dan Cuellar developed the Appium in 2011, it has Apache 2 Licence. At first, it was known as iOSAuto but in 2013 it was named Appium when it came as open-source software.
Advantages of Appium:
- It is open source so anyone can contribute to it.
- It allows the use of JSON wire protocol making it more robust.
- It does not require recompiling to reflect changes in-app.
- It allows automation tests which saves a lot of time.
- It supports many programming languages like PHP, Java, Python, C#, etc.
Advantages of Selenium:
- It is portable and supports different operating systems like Unix, Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc.
- Scripts written in selenium support most web browsers.
- It allows integration with third-party plugins.
- It has a parallel test execution feature which reduces test execution time.
Difference between Appium and Selenium:
|1.||Appium has the ability to automate all types of web applications along with mobile applications.||Selenium can automate all types of web applications but it cannot automate mobile applications.|
|2.||It supports the Android operating system.||It does not support the Android operating system.|
|3.||Appium does not have the ability of parallel testing.||Selenium provides the functionality of parallel testing.|
|4.||Document support of appium is good.||Document support of selenium is much better.|
|5.||It does not require coding knowledge for its operation.||It requires basic coding knowledge for its use.|
|6.||It needed Node JS in the system for its execution.||It does not require Node JS for its execution.|
|7.||It uses an HTTP server for mobile application testing||Task automation is done using selenium web drivers.|
|8.||Appium is less popular compared to Selenium.||Selenium is a highly popular automation tool.|