Cloud Computing Vs Web Development – Which One to Choose
In the present scenario, we have a lot of career opportunities to explore. With the count of more than 12,000 job opportunities, it becomes tough for individuals to choose. Keeping this thing in mind, we have articulated this article which will act as a guide for everyone and will help you to choose the one which fits best according to your skills.
Wouldn’t you feel great building beautiful websites or working on storing data in the cloud? That is when web development and cloud computing come into the picture. Talking about the most trendy IT job which is web development and cloud computing which has acquired 40% and 38% of the market share respectively in the IT industry. Since both are walking with the pace of technology, it’s difficult to choose the best career option between the two. This article covers all the important points which could help you to decide which career option to choose.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud Computing’s idea came in the 1960s but was initially termed on August 2006 by Google CEO Eric Schmidt during an industry conference. It is the on-demand delivery of servers, databases, software, storage, networking, and analytics over the internet to provide flexible resources and faster innovation. Amazon offered the first cloud service provider Amazon Web Services (AWS) in July 2002. Later, in 2010, Microsoft came up with its own service named Microsoft Azure. These services offer a pay-as-you-use service wherein you have to pay for a particular period of time you’re using the service. The main intention of cloud computing was to cut down costs and enable modern technology which is virtualization. Cloud computing career has more than 38% market growth in the year 2022.
In this busy and technological era, it’s not possible to carry your own systems everywhere that is when virtualization came into existence where you can work on a remote computer without being physically present there. To keep up with the pace of technology, it’s very important to walk with the trend.
Cloud Computing works by having a secure internet connection between the front end (which includes accessing the browser, device, and network) and the back end (server, database, and computer) through a central server.
Cloud follows three common deployment models which are public, private, and hybrid.
- Public: Cloud services are public when they’re offered at no cost, over the internet. This also increases threat issues at it shared by more number of users.
- Private: Private cloud services are provided to the customers (individuals/organizations) who really need it and pay for the service they use and for the time period.
- Hybrid: As the name suggests, hybrid is the mixed composition of public and private. Here, an organization may shift from private to public when the capacity increases.
Types of Cloud Computing:
- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service): IaaS provides an on-demand network or storage resource to customers over the Internet. It started in the early 2010s and was introduced in 2012 by Oracle and since then it has been in tech fashion. The cloud service providers offer virtual server storage and APIs that let users shift from workloads to virtual machines.
- PaaS (Platform as a Service): PaaS provides customers with a complete cloud platform (hardware, software, and infrastructure). PaaS was developed in 2005 with the intention to host development tools for the users using APIs on their infrastructures. Some of the PaaS products are Google App Engine and Salesforce’s Lightning Platform.
- SaaS (Software as a Service): SaaS provides access to software through subscription. It was introduced in 1999 and you’ll be amazed to know that it generates $209 billion in revenue. It came into existence with the goal of delivering access to software applications and databases over the internet. The best example can be Microsoft 365.
The Difference between IAAS, PAAS, and SAAS gives you a complete idea of the differences between each.
How to Get Started?
If you’re someone who has never been to the cloud or is a fresher, you must first understand what the cloud is and how it helps the IT industry to grow. No matter whether you’re a graduate of any discipline, you can still choose this lucrative career that has immense growth and demand. After having a glimpse of what is cloud computing, go for detailed knowledge. If you’re really interested in the cloud, you should start working on it right now and update your resume with some interesting projects.
To work on a project, you must go through the following steps:
- Pick an application to demonstrate the working of the cloud.
- Perform proper planning about the business roles for moving the application to the cloud.
- Perform operations needed to run the application live on the cloud.
- Do check the cost and users’ view on the application.
Getting yourself certified with Cloud certificates is a plus point if you’re thinking to switch your career to cloud computing. So, here are the Top 10 Most Valuable Cloud Computing Certifications. Being one of the most known cloud service providers, AWS (Amazon Web Services) is the first provider that came into existence, so you can also give a thought on How to Prepare for AWS Certification Exam?
If you’re ready with being an AWS Engineer, here is an AWS Certification Path – Levels, Exam, Cost.
Various roles offered to a Cloud Engineer:
1. Cloud Developer – In this role, you’ll need to focus on developing cloud computing solutions. You’re responsible to create and maintain applications and designing virtual machines. In order to be one, you should be proficient in programming languages and databases. According to a report, there are 7.1 million cloud developers worldwide.
Average Salary Offered in India - 3LPA to 30LPA
2. Cloud Administrator – Cloud Administrator manages cloud resources (networks, databases, storage, and virtual machines). They work with the IT team to deploy, configure, and monitor resources.
Average Salary Offered in India - 3.5LPA to 15LPA
3. Cloud Architect – Cloud Architects design and build the architecture of cloud computing. Having a good command of programming language, networking, and security is a must in this role.
Average Salary Offered in India - 9LPA to 45LPA
4. Cloud Security Engineer – This role majorly focuses on the management of cloud security. You should be able to manage clients’ security requirements. All the installations, maintenance, and upgradation of environments are taken care of by Cloud Security Engineers. There are more than lakhs of cloud security engineers worldwide.
Average Salary Offered in India - 4LPA to 35LPA
5. DevOps Engineer – DevOps is considered one of the best career options for cloud computing. He/She integrates functions of the projects and resources and should know about the automation tools. There are more than 112000 DevOps engineers who are currently working in the US. Here’s How to Become a DevOps Engineer – A Complete Roadmap
Average Salary Offered in India - 4.5LPA to 20LPA
6. Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) – Site Reliability Engineers take care of the practices to run the system in a reliable way. There are more than 10,000 SREs working in the US.
Average Salary Offered in India - 5LPA to 25LPA
Benefits of Cloud Computing
- Cost: Using cloud computing is generally cheaper as it allows you to use the service as per your payment (Pay-As-You-Go). Instead of going for traditional methods used before (servers), data are stored in the cloud which is cheaper in maintenance. It removes the expense of buying hardware and software.
- Speed and Reliability: The process it takes to perform the operations such as data backup is quick (in minutes or seconds) and also reliable.
- Security: Cloud Computing has the most secured connection as whenever the traffic goes high, it allows access only to legitimate users. It is more efficient in monitoring security and the chances of internal data theft are very rare.
- Performance & Productivity: The performance and productivity of cloud computing are very high the data is secure and it takes milliseconds of time to perform any operation (such as opening a website).
- Used Globally: Over more than 94% of the market share in the IT industry has switched to cloud computing for its data storage. So, cloud computing is in trend and will continue to remain the same in the coming future.
What is Web Development?
Web Development, whose market worth has been estimated to be $40.8 billion in the US is the most demanding and lucrative career option for individuals. It has been a hot topic in the IT industry due to its high salary (can be more than 2-3 lakhs per month based on experience), huge demand, and being the best career option. Web Development is all about building the front-end, back-end, and database (servers) i.e., building the web. It is the method to create, build, and maintain a website. Some of the highest-rated web development companies are Brainvire Infotech Inc, Doctor Multimedia, Dev Technosys, and Konstant Infosolution.
Let’s get into a bit of deep web development. It comprises three different development areas –
- Front-End Development – Front-end development is about creating the UI (User Interface). It focuses on the website’s appearance, making it dynamic, and interactive. You need to have a good command of these terms in order to be a front-end developer.
- Back-End Development – Back-end development deals with the management of the database, storing and fetching data. It basically works on how easily data can be fetched from the back-end when asked from a front-end.
- Database (Server) – The database stores the data which could be managed during the working of an application.
Also, there are some terms you must be thorough if you really want to get into web development
How to Get Started?
After you have been well versed with all the above skills, you can now hop into this career. No matter whether you’re a newbie or an experienced professional in any other domain, no matter if you have a B.Tech degree or not, these things can never be a hurdle if you really have a strong will to get into web development.
Make sure to have a good grip over above mentioned technical terms, and try building a few projects on your own. Add this to your resume and this will add bonus points to your resume. Stay connected with a few best developers on LinkedIn. Having a strong social network in your interested discipline helps you walk with the trend and also gives you extra knowledge on that particular domain. After all, this is done, you’re all ready to apply to companies and be a professional web developer if not. Roadmap to Become a Web Developer in 2022 will surely help you.
1. Front-End Developer – A front-end developer takes care of the UI part. The part which is viewed by users/clients is managed by the front-end developers. The element created such as buttons, nav bar, icons, and complete web page is created by a front-end developer.
Salary Offered in India - 4LPA to 20LPA
2. Back-End Developer – A back-end developer works on building, maintaining, and processing the data. He/She needs to have knowledge of back-end programming language, servers, OOPs, and database systems.
Salary Offered in India - 3LPA to 19LPA
3. Full-Stack Developer – A full-stack developer takes care of web development. He/She works on the front-end, back-end, and database management. There are more than 23 million full-stack developers according to current research.
Salary Offered in India - 3.5LPA to 35LPA
4. Project Manager – A Project Manager is one who’s responsible for planning, organizing, and taking care of the completion of specific projects for an organization, keeping budget and time in mind.
Salary Offered in India - 5LPA to 20LPA
5. UI/UX Developer – UI/UX deals with User Interactive and User Experience are the developers who generally focus on how well the website is and what points can be taken care of while creating a UI. Dp have a look at the UI & UX Developer – Education, Skills, Salary, and Career
Salary Offered in India - 2LPA to 18LPA
6. Software Architect – A Software Architect refers to the person who prepares a wireframe(fundamental structure) of the application keeping the standard of creating a website in mind. To become a software architect, refer to the article – How to Become a Software Architect?
Salary Offered in India - 10LPA to 48LPA
Benefits of Web Development
- Has Ample Opportunities – Being a web developer, you have diverse options to explore. Options such as freelancing or being full-time both are beneficial to you as an individual.
- In-Demand and High Future-Scope – Web Development is a demanding career and also has a great scope in the coming future. It has covered more than 20% of the IT industry.
- Great Salary – There’s no doubt that web development has a great salary ranging from 4LPA to 1-2 crores per annum depending on experience and skills gained.
To conclude, it’s your wish whichever profession you wish to work on. Both professions are trendy and use cutting-edge technologies. Also, both profession pays you a handsome salary. As it is said, You can do anything you want”, so if you’re interested in being a web developer or a Cloud Engineer, you can become one provided you learn the skills and make yourself ready for the job.