Arithmetic Expression Having Only + and * Operators in Java
Here, we will discuss the Arithmetic expression having operators like addition and multiplication and you will see how you can take an expression and can calculate the value with the help of the program.
Given an expression having only + and * operators, the task is to evaluate the String expression and find its output. In this, it’s a simple java program to implement in which expression containing only addition(+) and multiplication(*) operators.
Input: 1+2*3+4*5*6 Output: 127 Explanation: According to BODMAS, multiplication is evaluated first giving an expression as: 1+6+120. Finally the sum is 127.
Input: 2*3*4 Output: 24
This is how below given java program will take the string as input and split on the basis of operators like addition(+) and multiplication(*).
1+2*3+4*5*6 |1|+|2*3|+|4*5|*6| |1|+|6|+|20|*6 |1|+|6|+|120| = 127
- Split the string with regex matching + sign
- Thus, every element in the resultant String array has either a single number or an expression of products.
- Now traverse through the array to find indices having products.
- Split the product expression with regex matching * sign
- Now multiply every number that was split using * sign in Step 4.
- Finally, every index has only numbers that need to be added for the final evaluation of an expression.
- Add integers at all indices in the array received after Step 1.
- The sum gives the final result of the expression string.
Below is the implementation of the above approach: