6 Best Collaborative Coding Tools For Remote Pair Programming
Remote Pair Programming in contrast with individual programming allows two or more developers, coders to code successfully and in a collaborative manner. This is because, in pair programming done remotely, one developer or a coder will write the code in any programming language necessary for software development while the other developer/coder will review that code so that both of them may finish the assigned projects before the deadline arrives. But what if the number of developers or coders increases? Will they be able to work simultaneously on the projects allotted to them with no compromises on quality and accuracy or codes?
Here, arises the need for collaborative coding tools that allow the developers and coders to work collaboratively and in a distributed manner too influenced by variable levels of flexibility. Do you also want to work for a company where you will work either as a pair or with a team of developers/coders on some projects demanding your interactive ideas and each other’s contribution in terms of reviewing and writing the codes clean and without any typical coding errors? If yes, then have a look at the list of the 6 best collaborative coding tools and do remote pair programming in real-time speedily and reliably.
Codeanywhere with its configurable and collaborative development environment is trusted by a lot of developers from top companies like Adobe, Oracle, Intuit, Cisco, and many more. The reasons are many but these below-mentioned are the prime ones:
- Live pair programming in which any number of collaborators can participate remotely.
- Web-based code editor for creating and editing files, directly on server/servers, that can be shared across team members.
- An efficient built-in terminal console that facilitates developers, programmers across the world while performing a variety of tasks like opening an SSH terminal.
- Revision tracking to control, track multiple users developing and maintaining various computer programs, documents, and websites having a lot of information.
- A debugger (integrated) for development teams to link breakpoints or check for call stacks that store information of subroutines active in any of the development projects.
Yes, Replit classrooms have enabled teachers to not only control the list of assignments that needs to be completed by their students but also the additional study material packed with a series of learnings to perform well in examinations. In a nutshell, one can create, deploy apps with Replit (excellent for remote pair programming which developers or coders can use) or teach classroom students alongside tracking their progress.
3. AWS Cloud9
Cloud9, powered by AWS, is a collaborative coding tool with which developers, programmers can run, write, or debug the codes either in pairs or as a team in just a few clicks. Talking about its general-purpose cloud-based terminal, anyone with a passion for programming languages like C#, Go, Python, Java, Node.js, or Ruby can:
- flexibly create, develop serverless applications that can be released quickly at lesser costs.
- Besides, AWS Cloud9 is prepacked with other benefits like code completion, hinting (through which developers either of WordPress or Cloud can identify errors in their project codes in real-time), lesser debugging time, and many more.
Hence, if you are just a beginner to pair or collaborative programming, knowing about the benefits of this amazing cloud-based tool will assist you in tracking the progress of any of the projects assigned to your team comprising developers.
GitLive is one of the most recommended tools to extend your IDE’s (Integrated Development Environment) capabilities for real‑time collaborative coding. It supports a majority of the IDEs including Android Studio, VS Code, and all other Jetbrains IDEs. In particular, the way it detects or avoids merge conflicts in Android Studio improves relationships amongst developers working as a team on a project assigned to them.
As soon as any of the team members have made some changes in the existing codes and then you try to edit, review, or write new code for a particular section, red conflict indicators appear in the gutter of GitLive’s editor which you may choose to resolve or delete at times of merging the files. What else is now required to convince participants for proceeding ahead with the installation instructions of GitLive and adapting the best practices of pair programming GitLive adheres to in real-time?
5. Remote Collab for SublimeText
SublimeText empowers a community of developers with its remote programming capability that a developer or multiple developers can use by installing the Remote Colab plugin. Furthermore, its project-specific preferences can extensively be customized as per the operating system like Windows, Linux, and macOS. Are you thinking about some easier ways through which Remote Collab for SublimeText can be installed on your workstations like a desktop, laptop?
- Via sublime package control, you can easily download and install the same. To implement this in real-time, you should use the keys Ctrl + Shift + P on your keyboard so that the command palette of SublimeText may open up.
- Then, you choose Package Control followed by Install Package.
- Lastly, identify the RemoteCollab package and then, use the Enter keystroke for installing it within a fraction of seconds.
6. Teletype for Atom
Atom with its more than 7K packages categorized as featured, trending, newest, & recently updated is serving a larger section of software developers as they can now work on a piece of code at the same time. Nowadays, its open-source, free package Teletype is:
- responsive towards the issues related to the privacy of files you are sharing with other collaborators, team members, and developers.
- And once you activate Teletype (designed specifically for Atom) by installing it on Windows, Linux, or macOS, you will yourself see, “How does it maximize privacy at various levels of communication with other Atom users (i.e. developers, collaborators, or other team members) and minimize/ reduce latency to make you believe that files can be transferred in a hosted workspace 100X faster than the blink of an eye?”.
Searching for keyboard shortcuts that can help you get started with Atom and its package Teletype? Just search https://atom.io/packages in your browsers like Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and click Teletype written below Featured. In the end, click on the green-colored box to launch the Teletype package with Atom and collaborate encrypted(ly) in real-time.